Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Cats

So, ********* (your virtual name is too ugly to type), if you're going post a comment, can you leave your real name? One that I'll know? Because whoever you are who's been spamming us stupid junk recently, you're a coward. You're stupid and ignorant with nothing better to do.

Eh. ^ person there left racist comments on my previous post, which I deleted, and sexually offensive (among other ways) ones on John's blog. Ick. Regarding those left on mine, I was really mad yesterday because that last post was really important to me, and.. I don't know, those words made me feel defiled. Just.. yeah. The comment stung at some things I personally value. Sigh. It's sad how people can be so mean. And also, another issue on race: Yesterday on Deal or No Deal, the candidate was a Korean-American, the first ever Asian-American on the show, I think, and he was made to sing to the tune of "B-I-N-G-O" a song that stereotyped him and basically humiliated and derided the entire Asian.. race (is that the right category? eh. whatever). Apologies for the long sentence. But it was really mean, and despite the fact that Pyong Kong was a great sport and played along, I have no doubts that the show's producers would not have, under any circumstance, done the same thing to a Caucasian on the show. Even if that Caucasian were an immigrant from Eastern Europe, for example, with a heavy accent and frumpled manners, s/he would not have been subjected to such public shame. Sigh. Sad that race still plays such a large role in our lives. Maybe that's why I don't watch much American TV. Caught some of Heroes and another show yesterday, and Asians were all portrayed as.. geeky, obedient, submissive, .. and other bad things.

Another point of discussion: People are really bold on the Internet. They say things half of which they wouldn't dare slip in your face in person. Above situation, case in point. NY Times had an article about it today: here.

Eh. That's why I prefer talking to people in person. When you don't really know the other party, it's hard to figure (some times more than others) what they're really saying/thinking, and I'm only willing to play guessing games for so long. Sigh. That's been a source of anxiety at times.

2 comments:

Lissa said...

Amen sistah! I "greatly dislike" how people express their opinions avec l'ordinateur, quand tu sais que they would never say it to you or anybody like that in person. Hopefully I'll be able to express that sentiment in person...ackack. anywho you are lovely person, purified by Christ! (: feel better soon. <3

Tina Tan said...

(>.<) boo~!!!