Saturday, September 01, 2007

American Classics.

5 Things About Me That I Find Weird/Unique/Unusual - taken from Ting

1. I want to learn Latin. After seeing The Da Vinci Code, I became somewhat apprehensive about this one, but not anymore. I'm back to being me. Latin's dead (useful).

2. I enjoy jazz very much. Jazzy stuff too, like Bernstein and Gershwin. Good music. I like trying to figure where the melodies will flow and stream and what they'll become, and it's always an incredible journey going through a piece of jazz music, even if I don't yet fully understand its rhetoric like I do classical's.

3. I'm not in a hurry to drive. Lame, yeah. But hey, I like being chauffered around. Makes my life easier. The only reason I want to learn to drive is for convenience's sake, and so as to move away from inconveniencing others. Oh and did I mention, for getting away from things? Think the airplane passage in "A Motive for Metaphor."

4. I write in the air. Of course, I don't produce any lastingly visible words. I write with pencils, pens, violin bows, chopsticks, and other long and thin objects of that sort. Often times my "air writing" has more curlicues, I think. Reveals thoughts and whims.

5. I have perfect pitch, but I can't vocally carry a note to save my life. I suppose I don't sing too horribly, but it's nowhere as accurate as my playing. I can hear the notes in my head and playing them out, I find they're just fine. However, the challenge is in getting the vocal cords to cooperate. Yeah.

- - -

Yeah, so I finally did that. Ting tagged me a while ago, and I actually jotted down the basic topics for those five items a few weeks ago, but I left it an unpublished and unpolished draft until tonight. Yeah. Today's August 31st, but I don't feel like publishing again in August, so I shall wait until September 1st. It's only about 42 minutes away. Mm.

Started some important documents today. Yeah, they're called college apps. Wonderful. Reading through the essay and short-response topics for one application, I found it fascinating that college admissions officers had learned to write questions that, if answered throughly, concisely, and with personality, could tell one very much about the applicant. I suppose it's meant to be that way - duh. But still, if an admissions officer were to spend time poring over a good set of responses, s/he could get to know an applicant much better much faster than one of us ordinary folk usually gets to know someone. I just found that fact very fascinating. Yeah.

School's a drag so far. Yay for outside gatherings of friends and fanfare. (The second word there just sounded nice. Friendly. And I'm currently listening to the Boston Pops Orchestra, so hey, it fits.) Whatever. We'll live.

Kinda thankful not working anymore. Would be terribly taxing, even more than things already are. Eh. Other stuff to worry about. Academics, life, family, friends, clubs, apps, etc. <-- Jumbled-up priorities reflect fatigue. Uh huh.

I'm thinking about marching bands now. Ah. Definitely gotta remember to clear the schedule for the IHS invitational this year.

Just when I think I know what I want to do with life, when I have a game plan going, and it's made up of things I do well, things shift, and for a few split seconds I'm at a loss. This isn't the greatest time for life decisions to be changing. The problem is, I don't particularly stand out in anything, and the two academic areas I find most interest in are polar opposites. Really. Sure, people say I do well in many areas, I know that. They're partially correct. My personal view at times, when the ego is flat (when I start thinking more about schools and the future, it's either flat or it's bloated, and I don't like myself when it's either of those; I prefer not analyzing myself in such situations) is that I'm good ENOUGH at a lot of things. Just enough so that people in many areas have heard of my reputation, and hence, many more people think I'm good at many things. Sigh. I told that to someone's dad once. He laughed. Hah. I don't know if I even believe myself, hah. Lovely.

Excuse my insecurities. Thank you.

Yeah. I'm just letting things out. Gonna go with what I'm more sure of. Thinking more rationally now. I hope.

No comments: